Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Candles in the store

I was in a store yesterday and walked past the candles in one of the store isles. It smelt nice so I stopped and took a closer look.  The candles were either made in China, or India or Vietnam. Nothing wrong with that. But what was wrong was there was no labeling stating what was in the candles. Since I didn't see anything saying soy, then I had to assume they were made with paraffin wax. I didn't see any beeswax on the labels, either. Beeswax candles don't drip when burned.
I have read that you can tell if the wick has lead, and they have come from candles from China, so beware, but this is how you can tell if you have any candles with lead wicks. Before burning, take a piece of white paper and rub the paper over the top of the wick. If you see a grayish mark on the paper, then it's got some lead in the wick. It's best not to burn that candle.

Soy candles burn evenly, so there's no tunneling when burning, they burn slower and longer, and are bio-degradable, non-toxic and non-carcinogenic. So in my opinion, the better candle to burn are soy candles, then second best are beeswax candles with cotton/paper wicks. Leave candles with lead wicks alone.

See my candle store on my website for all kinds of safe soy candles to burn. I understand men like candles, too.

Candles- some are better than others

Photo credit: cohdra from morguefile.com

No comments:

Post a Comment